My first education in someone ruining a decent song happened at my fathers house when I was 14.
My sister was only little, and my Caro-Mumma and I were watching our Saturday Morning show: Rage. All of a sudden, as I’m watching a film clip by the Slinkee Minx, I hear Caro-Mumma go “Oh no they didn’t… they did… I loved this song… THEY’VE BUTCHERED IT!” What were they singing? Belinda Carlisle’s “Summer Rain.”
I believe it was this instance that made me appreciate the originals and know how to pick up on remakes that were sub-standard.
A more recent one is Jason Derulo’s version of Toto’s Africa. Daniel’s favorite song is Africa, and while I don’t particularly like it, I hate Derulo’s version even more. A song, that I think I dislike more for the annoyance it gives Daniel than anything, which was inspirational and pleasant to the ear, was mixed in with a voice and music that didn’t mesh right.
So, when Derulo’s version came on the radio today, it was the inspiration for tonights blog: My list of butchered songs.
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Originally by Cyndi Lauper and remade by Miley Cyrus
- American Pie – Originally by Don MacLean and remade by Madonna
- Sweet Child O’ Mine – Originally by G’n’R and remade by Sheryl Crowe
- These Boots Were made For Walking – Originally by Nancy Sinatra, remade by Jessica Simpson
- BallRoom Blitz – Originally by Sweet, remade by Tia Carerra
- Papa Don’t Preach – Originally by Madonna, remade by Kelly Osbourne
- We Will Rock You – Originally by Queen and remade by 5ive
- Tainted Love – Originally by Gloria Jones, made famous by Soft Cell, remade by PussyCat Dolls
- Heaven – Bryan Adams, remade by DJ Sammy
- The Tide is High – Originally sung by Bob Marley, then successfully rehashed by Blondie, remade by Atomic Kitten
- Do Ya Think I’m Sexy – Originally by Rod Stewart, remade by Paris Hilton
- You Shook Me All Night Long – Originally by AC/DC, remade by Celine Dion
- I Love Rock and Roll – Originally by Alan Merril and Jake Hooker, but Joan Jett made it big. It was Remade by Britney Spears
- Ring Of Fire – Originally by Anita Carpenter, but made famous by Johnny Cash, and remade by Olivia Newton John
- Fuel – Originally by Metallica, and
absolutely murderedremade by Avril LaVigne
- Take On Me – Originally by Ah-Ha, and remade by The Jonas Brothers
And I can’t forget, Derulo’s version of Africa.
Now, these are all obviously only my opinions, and I would love to hear yours. Do you have something to add to this list? Is there one you disagree with? Shoot me a comment and let me know!